I have over 30 years of experience defending people charged with driving under the influence to murder and everything in between. Before entering private practice, I practiced criminal defense as an attorney with the Maryland Office of the Public Defender. For six years, I served as the chief of the Office of the Public Defender in Montgomery County, an office with over 30 lawyers. During my time as a public defender, I gained extensive jury trial experience in serious felony cases, including three capital trials.
I have been a long-standing member of the State Bar Criminal Subcommittee on Maryland Pattern Jury Instructions which the Maryland Court of Special Appeals calls "a group of distinguished judges and lawyers who almost amount to a Who's Who of the Maryland Bench and Bar."
No two cases are exactly alike. I will get to know you and what led to the charges being filed. You will get the personal attention you deserve. You will not be handed off to a less experienced associate. I will be with you every step of the way.
Facing criminal charges is a stressful, nerve-wracking experience. Not only is your freedom at stake, but you could lose your driver's license, your professional license, your student loans, and your reputation. Police and prosecutors have tremendous power. You need an attorney who will stand firm between you and the government and aggressively protect your rights.
Mental health issues are often involved in criminal cases. I have extensive knowledge of the interaction of mental illness and the law and have successfully used that knowledge to help my clients.
From misdemeanors to felonies, I will work diligently to protect you and to obtain the best results possible.
University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- Juris Doctor - 1984
University of Maryland
- Maryland, 1985
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
Honors & Awards
- AV (highest) Martindale-Hubbell rating for over 10 consecutive years
- Chair, Montgomery County Criminal Justice Coordinating Commission, 2015
- Alan H. Murrell Award for Outstanding Attorney in Maryland Office of the Public Defender, 2002
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Montgomery County
- Board of Directors, Maryland Criminal Defense Attorney's Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Classes & Seminars
- Visiting Adjunct Law Professor, Georgetown University Law Center, 1994-1995
- Maryland Office of the Public Defender
- Chief of the Office of the Public Defender in Montgomery County